Why my "trackerd" is always running and consuming 99% CPU time

Soo-Hyun Choi s.choi at hackers.org.uk
Thu Nov 15 22:05:03 UTC 2007

On Nov 15, 2007 8:30 PM, Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic at dantian.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 19:08 +0000, Soo-Hyun Choi wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Under my system (Ubuntu 7.10), the "trackerd" process is always
> > running and it consumes almost 100% CPU time. Is this an expected
> > behaviour or is it doing something else?
>
> Can you specify "always" more precisely? I'm asking because for me, it
> initially consumed 99% CPU for a while (albeit with low priority, so it
> wouldn't actually slow anything else down), until it had indexed all my
> files. It also uses lots of CPU for a minute or so after login. This is
> to be expected, since it has to do it indexing work some time.

Yes, it used to do that way - 99% CPU cycle consumption at login and stopped
taking CPU times after like 10 mins or so. But, somehow, from a few days
ago, it has been consuming 99% CPU times for about more than two days and it
still uses such amount of CPU cycle now.

Yes, it is niced with lower priority (nice level is 19 in my case), but it
still burns my CPU as it (trackerd) keeps giving a full stress (almost 99%)
to it.

Killing "trackerd" process is the only way to stop that at this moment,
which isn't a fun task every time you login (or start the system).