Why my "trackerd" is always running and consuming 99% CPU time

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Thu Nov 15 20:30:19 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 19:08 +0000, Soo-Hyun Choi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Under my system (Ubuntu 7.10), the "trackerd" process is always
> running and it consumes almost 100% CPU time. Is this an expected
> behaviour or is it doing something else?

Can you specify "always" more precisely? I'm asking because for me, it
initially consumed 99% CPU for a while (albeit with low priority, so it
wouldn't actually slow anything else down), until it had indexed all my
files. It also uses lots of CPU for a minute or so after login. This is
to be expected, since it has to do it indexing work some time.

But after a while, once it had indexed everything, it stopped doing
that. If in your case the situation continues for days or weeks, then it
is probably a bug. There are some known bugs that cause this, see here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/+bugs?field.searchtext=tracker+cpu