Can't print (version 7.10 - Gutsy Gibbon) to a printer connected locally

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 13 16:16:08 UTC 2007

On 11/12/2007 06:34 PM, Scott Kaplan wrote:
> I installed the download - no luck.  In Unbuntu 7.10 is there a log
> file that shows print debug information?
>
> Thanks, Scott
>
> On Nov 11, 2007 10:26 PM, NoOp <glgxg<[it's impolite to include full email addresses in quotes]>sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 11/11/2007 07:37 PM, Scott Kaplan wrote:
>>> I apologize in advance for the newbie question.  I am very new to
>>>  Unbuntu and linux.  I installed Ubuntu yesterday and everything
>>> works great except for printing.  The only documentation I could
>>> find for how to set up a printer in Ubuntu is in version 7.4.
>>> From some documentation I found online it sounded like the
>>> Printer Configuration dialog is new in 7.10.
>>>
>>> I am trying to print to my Lexmark x7350.  It is connected
>>> directly to my Ubuntu box via USB
>>>
>>> Here are the steps I tried: System->Administration->Printing The
>>> Printer configuration - localhost dialog showed the following
>>> information: Description:             Lexmark 7300 Series
>>> Location:                 <blank> Device URI:
>>> usb://Lexmark/%207300%20Series Make and Model:     Lexmark 7000
>>> Foomatic/lex7000 (recommended) Printer State:           idle
>>> Default Printer:        This is the default printer
>>>
>>> I clicked the Print Test Page button and I got a popup:Submitted
>>> - Test page submitted as job 1.  I clicked OK to this.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately nothing ever printed.  I also tried to print from
>>> an Open Office doc - no luck.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance, Scott
>>>

>> Lexmark printers can be a problem. Go here and download:
>>
>> And the Lexmark driver:
>> <http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/downloads.cgi?category=Drivers&ccs=229:1:0:366:0:0&searchLang=en&os_group=Debian%20GNU>
>>  [http://preview.tinyurl.com/39q8wo] Drivers
>> print-drivers-linux-glibc2-x86.deb
>> Version 5.3.3 Driver for Debian and Linspire Linux Systems

Check in /var/log/cups/error.log

However, I suspect that the problem is simply that the ppd file never
makes it to the /etc/cups/ppd directory. When you installed the lexmark
drivers it should have untarred a ppd file:
Lexmark-Z35-lxz35cj-cups.ppd. See if you can find that on your system
and copy it to /etc/cups/ppd. That ppd file is really all that you
should need to use the printer.