kmail lost some emails!

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Nov 13 15:01:37 UTC 2007

Luca Ferrari wrote:

> On Tuesday 13 November 2007 Luca Ferrari's cat, walking on the keyboard,
> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> hope someone can help me. Today my disk run out of quota while kmail was
>> opened. All the emails in a local folder disappeared, while the other
>> folders seems to be intact. Even reopening kmail does not produce any
>> effect: only one folder seems damaged. The folder has other subfolders
>> that contain mails that are displayed. Is there any way to repair the
>> situation (hoping the emails were not effectively lost)?
>
> I didn't mention, but I'm unable to search/filter e-mails in such folder,
> that is I'm pretty sure it is not a visual effect due to a filter/sort
> mechanism.

Delete (or rename) ~/Mail/*.index*

KMail will always rebuild the indexes if they're not present, and if mail
has disappeared they're practically guaranteed to be corrupt.  Once the
index reappears, I think you'll have a lot of "unread" mail, that isn't
really unread, but you _should_ have all your messages.
--
derek