apps without frames

Peter Spotts pspotts at alum.mit.edu
Tue Nov 13 12:29:23 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-13 at 21:11 +0900, 2g wrote:
> to turn "mostly in terminal" oriented
> installed fluxbox onto ubuntu
> and even made toolbar disappear
> so now i have nothing but wallpaper as default
>
> 1st of all
> am looking for a terminal that has no frame around it
> so that it can look like floating on a wallpaper(or like a hole)
> and if i could take advantage of transparency it's lovely
> i mean a strict skeleton one so that if other app comes behind
> i want the terminal to be floating on it
> too greedy?
>
> and it would me nice if other apps could be also launched from this terminal
> and that app also got rid of frames
> any recommendation?
> it would be great if i could watch realplayer streams in this way..
>
> --
> 2g
> http://micro.ispretty.com

xfterm4 from Xfce comes close. You can set it up with no scroll bar, no
frame, and no menu or tool bars. If you keep the scroll bar, however, it
picks up the GTK theme currently used by other Xfce apps. I can send a
screenshot if you like...

Pete
--
Peter N. Spotts | Science reporter
The Christian Science Monitor

"The knack of flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
            -- Douglas Adams, "A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"