Cannot access new NAS

John Dangler jdangler at terremark.com
Sat Nov 10 00:05:20 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 18:48 -0500, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> Hi Xanthian
> The displayed IP address isn't public !
> It is a part of our little LAN !!
> A WL-MAPR (LinkSYS WAG354G) connects to the WWW
> and is getting an IP dynamically from ISP !!!
>
> The NAS shall only act as a sharing storage within the LAN and
> external access isn't expected nor planned (yet) ;-)
>
> Just noticed another curious display:
>
> Accessing the LD141 from Desktop icon I get:
> Couldn't find "/192.168.144.141"
>
> Accessing LD141 from Places I get:
> Couldn't find "///192.168.144.141"
>
> Will recheck the setup again ;-)
> Cheers, svobi
Hrmmm - If it were a samba connection, it would say SMB://192....
I'm curious about these drives (if in fact that's what we're talking
about).  I've seen WD has a 1Tb IP-Addressable drive as well.  But, on
the box it says it has "Windows software" already built on the drive.
I don't know what that has to do with it being IP Addressable, but I"m
wondering if this is a drive, and has a similar setup, NFS might not be
correct, but you may have luck setting it up as SMB (unless of course
you format the drive as ext2, ext3, or some other native Linux format).

That might be worth a try just to see if NFS will then see the drive.

I'd like to see how this turns out, since I'm in the process of setting
up a LAN for my place and want to hang 2 of these 1Tb IP drives from it.