FQDN Misery Re: To: Postfix, Mutt And No Root Mail? & amavisd-new Install

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 8 23:22:31 UTC 2007

--- Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> NoOp wrote:
>
> > On 11/07/2007 10:43 AM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> >>
> >> As you see "hostnam and domainname" both give
> results
> >> and nslookup indicates to me that
> >> "ubuntu.gateway.2wire.net" is the FQDN for my
> Ubuntu
> >> machine.
> >
> > No, it's not. For it to be an FQDN you need to add
> a . (dot) at the end
> > of ubuntu.gateway.2wire.net; i.e.,
> ubuntu.gateway.2wire.net(.)
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FQDN
> >
> Er, no.  It may be technically true but it _isn't_
> what your system expects
> and describes as an FQDN.  An FQDN is simply a
> domain name _containing_ a
> dot, and ending with one of the recognized TLDs (Top
> Level Domain).
>
> For instance:
>
> # nslookup pointerstop.ca
> &
> # nslookup pointerstop.ca.
>
> give exactly the same results.  However,
> # nslookup gateway.2wire.net.
>
> returns NXDOMAIN
>
> but
> # nslookup gateway.2wire.net
>
> tells me it doesn't exist _within_ my domain (but
> that's also just an option
> within nslookup).  So, there's nothing technically
> wrong about using an
> invalid domain as an FQDN in a mail server - but it
> _does_ need to resolve
> on the host that's checking.  I do it all the time -
> my mail server
> believes it's running at bella.pointerstop.ca, but
> you will never resolve
> bella.pointerstop.ca from the outside world. However
> the MX for
> pointerstop.ca always resolves - and I'm not sure if
> that makes a
> difference.
>
> > That said, if you want an actual DDNS that you can
> use as a proper FQDN
> > for internet activity then go and get a free DDNS:
> > http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/
>
> That's certainly simplest.

Ok, I'm clear on the dot after the domainname and it's
corrected.
I assume from your comments that what I have now
although not legitimate outside my network is ok for
local delivery inside my network(root mail primarily)
and should work for postfix, mutt and amavisd-new.  Am
I correct so far? I'm really a network dummy as said
before and want to be sure I have it right before
making more changes. Also David, in post prior to
yours, indicated that localdomain should be sufficient
in most cases.  He wasn't specific where to add it.
Your thought on what he said?
Also, I have no thoughts/plans ever to host an
internet site, etc, etc, and see no need for a free
domain name. This would be more complications, I don't
need. I just want root mail and mail from the
system/network sent to root to be sent to me as I'm
root and sole operator. Don't remember the program
names but I'm sure you know what I mean. When I ran
Debian, I got so much of it I uninstalled some of it.
It just worked then but I believe exim4 was used ipo
postfix.
Your comments and assistance is most appreciated.  As
mentioned to David, Feisty, IMHO, should have set up
these mail programs better. A linux novice just can't
do it without lots of help.  Thanks again,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net