FQDN Misery Re: To: Postfix, Mutt And No Root Mail? & amavisd-new Install

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 8 14:42:10 UTC 2007

I hope yours and the OP's guidance is for a desktop
and not a server. Everything I've read on FQDN is
about servers and I'm just wondering. More below:

--- David Koski <david at kosmosisland.com> wrote:

> For an FQDN, find your hostname:
>
> # hostname
> myhost
>
> Add this to your /etc/hosts
>
> 11.22.33.44	myhost.example.com	myhost
>
> Now show FQDN:
>
> # hostname -f
> myhost.example.com
>
> Of course 11.22.33.44 is your IP address.

I think I have muddled through the OP"s suggestions
and now have:
lchata at ubuntu:/usr/share/doc/mutt/examples$ hostname
ubuntu.gateway.2wire.net.
lchata at ubuntu:/usr/share/doc/mutt/examples$ domainname
gateway.2wire.net
This assuming your example.com is equivalent to my
gateway.2wirew.net which is my router/modem combo
gateway. AYK, ubuntu was my original hostname or
computer name. I still wonder if this is what postfix
is looking for in main.cf because I really don't know.
Now when I do an update/upgrade, amavisd-new setup
gives this error:
 Starting amavisd: head: cannot open `/etc/mailname'
for reading: No such file or directory.
Dpkg-reconfigure amavisd-new gives same error and
aptitude -f install just wants to remove all
amavisd-new related programs. All before doing below
suggestions.

> You may need to add an alias for root in
> /etc/aliases (or /etc/postfix/aliases
> or wherever your file is) and run newaliases.  For
> example, add:
>
> root: myname at localhost
>
> or
>
> root: myname
>
> or
>
> root: myname at example.com
>
> or whatever.
>
> David

The above is a little too much all inclusive for me.
Don't know which to use?  I already have a root entry
for my userID(username) but will add one for the FQDN
just set up as follows:
"root:     myname(username)@ubuntu.gateway.2wire.net
Hope it works; I have doubts but will report back.
Ran newaliases and postaliases warns of duplicate root
entries. Should I actually remove the "root: username
entry added by the installer???  Have commented it out
temporarily and newaliases completes ok now. Finally
got postconf -d to get rid of error that couldn't use
own host because of the dot at end new hostname.
postconf -d output now seems to be without error but
WDIK.
reconfigure of amavisd-new still give error that
/etc/mailname does not exist. Read all man related to
mailname and found that it is plain text file with
only the FQDN(after the @).  Do I just create it with
nano and add it myself or is there a program or
command to do it.  Some guidance here appreciated.
Getting there but not quite. Thanks for your input.