Gutsy Gibbon poses problems unknown to Feisty Fawn

sktsee sktsee at tulsaconnect.com
Tue Nov 6 21:31:32 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 12:38 -0500, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Sunday 04 November 2007, sktsee wrote:
> > > but even with un-blacklisting the FB doesn´t work (when i tested it)
> >
> > Gerald's suggestion isn't to un-blacklist the driver, but to include it
> > in the initrd image.
> >
> > If you use the vesa framebuffer driver you would do the following:
> >
> > $ cd /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/video
> > $ sudo cp vesafb.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/initrd
> > $ sudo update-initramfs -u
> > $ sudo shutdown -r now
> >
> > If all goes well, vesafb gets loaded when the initrd image does, and
> > fbcon (framebuffer console driver) has a framebuffer to work with.
> >
> > Interestingly enough, vesafb.ko is already present in the above
> > mentioned initrd directory with feisty kernels, but isn't with gutsy
> > kernels. Why the gutsy devs moved away from this workaround without
> > first solving the original problem with initramfs' framebuffer handling
> > is a mystery.
>
> The above doesn't work for me....
>
> I guess I am getting a little ticked as to why they can't solve a relatively
> simple issue like this?
>
> Is it more complex than I think it is?

Well, crap. I just installed gutsy today (yay, shipit) and my workaround
didn't work for me either. It's how it worked in feisty, but for some
reason the same setup doesn't work for gutsy. It should, though, since
there's hardly any differences between gutsy's initramfs-tools scripts
and feisty's versions.

I am able to belatedly get a framebuffer console however, by loading
vesafb manually in gnome-terminal after logging into gnome. To get that
I had to add "fbcon" to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules and rerun
update-initramfs -u. I also took the vesafb.ko file out
of /lib/modules/`uname -r`/initrd because it didn't help anything. Once
I get everything else configured the way I want, I'll go back and try a
few other things to see if I can get it working right.

--
sktsee