gutsy upgrade nightmare cont'd

Art Edwards edwardsa at icantbelieveimdoingthis.com
Tue Nov 6 08:11:53 UTC 2007

So, now that I have successfully disabled Xgl, and now that I have
abandoned gdm because "the greeter program crashes," I have a partially
ambulatory laptop.

Here is what I get when I try to remove texlive-lang-french:

Setting up texlive-lang-french (2007.dfsg.1-3) ...

Running mktexlsr. This may take some time... done.

Running updmap-sys. This may take some time... done.

Building format(s) --byhyphen .

        This may take some time...

fmtutil-sys failed. Output has been stored in

/tmp/fmtutil.YCGI8170

Please include this file if you report a bug.

dpkg: error processing texlive-lang-french (--configure):

I get this when I have asked to remove the package.

The file /tmp/fmtutil.YCGI8170 contains

fmtutil: no format depends on `//'.

emacs21 and xemacs21 just installed without problem. My issues had been
initially with emacs22, and xemacs22. I'm happy with something that
works, so I will retract my rant about emacs and xemacs, rather than
attempt to recreate my difficulties with them.

I'm still unable to use gdm because of the crashing greeter. \

Art Edwards