SLOW boot and LONG wait when logging out to switch users.

damian misc at daminator.com
Mon Nov 5 23:02:04 UTC 2007

NoOp wrote:
> On 11/05/2007 01:28 AM, damian wrote:
>

>> Thank for that idea. Here are my reults with some timings:
>>
>> Pre new user:
>> Power button to spinning mouse cursor   -   56 seconds
>> Spinning mouse cursor to log in screen   -   3 min 57 sec
>> Log in screen to fully loaded desktop   -   25 seconds
>>
>> Added new user:
>> Log out of 1st user to spinning cursor (pre log in screen)   -   7 seconds
>> spinning cursor to log in screen   -   7 min 20 seconds
>> quit   22 sec
>>
>> New boot:
>> Power button to spinning mouse cursor   -   54 seconds
>> Spinning mouse cursor to log in screen   -   3 min 59 sec
>>

>> What on earth is going on between the gui starting (cream background and
>> spinning cursor) and the log in screen poping up? Used to be bretty much
>> instant.
>>
>> Damian
>>

> Damian, I notice in your xsesson-errors:
>
> Initializing gnome-mount extension
> Unable to open desktop file
> /usr/share/applications/mozilla-thunderbird.desktop for panel launcher:
> No such file or directory
>
> Could it be that this started after you installed or deleted thunderbird?

Maybe!
I installed Thunderbird 2 from Ubuntuzilla (or whatever the group is
called) before the upgrade to 7.10

After 7.10, all my thunderbird settings seemed to be gone, and I think
what had happened was that there were t versions of thunderbird 2
installed. One called something like Thunderbird2 and one something like
Mozilla-Thunderbird2 (I don't remember exactly, but I know they were
different). My old settings and emeils were in the version that wasn't

Don't remember what I did exactly to be honest, but I did get my old
emails and settings working and Thunderbird seems to be ok now. Any
ideas what I should do from here?

Damian