Choosing a distribution

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Mon Nov 5 20:40:01 UTC 2007

Chris G wrote:

> Er, but why would it be easier to hack the root password?  (Unless
> you're saying that a hacker knows there's a root account but not your
> one)

Ubuntu's default install with no root password just means that the
installer needs to ask one less question.  So when noobs install the
system, you don't have to confuse them with Enter your user name and
password, now enter *another* password for the root account. This way,
people don't get confused and start logging on as root. There's also
something to be said for the command logging, but once people start
using sudo -i, that doesn't accomplish much anymore.

It's a good system, but the religious fervor with which Ubuntu peeps try
to deflect you from enabling the traditional root account baffles me.
Here's what none of them will tell you.  If you want your old fashioned
root account, type 'sudo passwd root'

Note that all of Ubuntu's system administration GUI tools, including the
KDE stuff, have been patched to use sudo isntead of su, so you still
need to use the the user account password for those to work, and you
still need to keep sudo in a working state (user has to be member of
admin group, and or the /etc/sudoers has to allow you super user access
somehow)