root password setting unoffered at install

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Sun Nov 4 20:46:34 UTC 2007

David Vincent wrote:
> Eric S. Johansson wrote:
>
>> I have not figured out how to use vmware server's remote console without having
>> a root password enabled on the host machine.  Any suggestions?
>
> which ubuntu are you running and which vmware server and where did you
> install from?
>
> there is a bug in the 1.03 version in the commercial repo for feisty
> where remote console login does not work but there is an easy workaround.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/112937
>
> if you installed 1.04 from the vmware site it should work for you (it
> worked for me).  make sure you have xinetd installed.

1.0.4 server on dapper (606lts).  Personally I never use the repository images
and always built from scratch because my usual experiences that the vmware .deb
fail and I don't have time to debug.  I also stick to 606 because everything
else is horribly unreliable/unsupported (from a virtual machine perspective).

When I tried non-root IDs, they usually give me permission failed unless I make
everything 777.  I'll take adding a root password over that.