root password setting unoffered at install

David Vincent dvincent at
Sun Nov 4 17:51:12 UTC 2007

Eric S. Johansson wrote:

> I have not figured out how to use vmware server's remote console without having
> a root password enabled on the host machine.  Any suggestions?

which ubuntu are you running and which vmware server and where did you
install from?

there is a bug in the 1.03 version in the commercial repo for feisty
where remote console login does not work but there is an easy workaround.

if you installed 1.04 from the vmware site it should work for you (it
worked for me).  make sure you have xinetd installed.