high cpu useage

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 4 00:46:06 UTC 2007

On 11/03/2007 12:24 PM, Tim M wrote:
> Hi,
> The cpu usage on this Dell Inspiron 1200 is running between 40 to 70% with
> almost nothing running. My desktop system, also running 7.10 Gutsy . . .
> runs with extremely low cpu usage even with twice the programs running. I
> think this have been covered before but I didn't pay a lot of attention to
> the discussion. Anyone have any ideas how I should troubleshoot this
> problem?
>
> Tim

Check to see if you have any of the following installed:

tracker
apparmor

If so, kill/remove tracker & consider doing the same for apparmor.

Also check to see if you have any network applications that might be
scanning for port activities; VPN, DNS etc. I've notice in the past that
several applications that I've mentioned sometimes do not seem to show
up in top or System Monitor. I ended up hunting them down via Synaptics
& then removed one at a time. I'm sure there is a better command line
tool, but top didn't show all process and neither did the gui System
Manager. Don't know why, perhaps I was doing something wrong.