open office problem under compiz

John Carlyle-Clarke jpcc at bigfoot.com
Sat Nov 3 19:10:04 UTC 2007

Paul Kaplan wrote:
> On a clean gutsy install I'm having some fatal behavior of OO under compiz.
>
> First, unlike other programs, the title bar to OO applications isn't drawn at
> all; the top of every window is occupied by the menubar.  This makes it
> impossible to resize the window or move it around the screen.
>
> Second, and more significantly, the menus will appear briefly when I click on
> their titles or select using Alt+<underlined letter>, but then they almost
> immediately disappear.  They are visible just long enough to catch a glimpse
> of what they contain, but no where near long enough to make a selection.
>
> These problems aren't manifest under kwin, so it's clearly a problem in OO
> interacting with Compiz.

I'm not at an Ubuntu system so can't direct you to the exact option, but
I know for me and others the setting that solved this problem was to
look for the section in the settings manager called "Workarounds" or
something like that, and find the one called "Legacy full screen app
compatibility" or similar, and ensure it's turned off.

Apologies for the vagueness, but hopefully you can track it down and it
will solve your problem.