Feisty Meta physics

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Sat Nov 3 14:00:29 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 20:21 +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 23:49 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > but iirc, that's just a function of aliasing in /etc/modprobe.d/ - so they
> > can really be called anything.  It would just get really confusing if you
> > called a wired NIC "wlan0" :-)
>
> I guess that's all true, but the exercise was just to find out what
> exactly Carl meant :)
>
> > Is eth0_rename actually a working device?  I got one of those, too (when I
> > installed Feisty), and it was completely broken.  I just removed everything
> > from /etc/iftab, and they went back to predictable values.
>
> I think it's weird, but it didn't hurt so far. In fact, a few changes
> late in the dev cycle meant that for the first time it works reliably,
> ever.
>
> What's /etc/iftab? I don't have it, and would be surprised if I ever had
> such a directory (?) in any distro.

I made the same assumptions as Derek, based on my own experiences. Glad
someone can keep me straight.

/etc/iftab is apparently not being used in Gutsy. Previously it kept
track of NIC's by MAC address and ARP. That was one way to keep multiple
network card from changing names in /etc/network/interfaces.

--
Charlie Kravetz
Linux Registered User Number 425914