kernel, nvidia problems after upgrading inspiron to gutsy

Charlie Zender zender at uci.edu
Fri Nov 2 14:47:56 UTC 2007

>> After the (broken) upgrade to gutsy my laptop was, for some
>> reason, defaulting to the i386 kernel. Manually switching to
>> the generic kernel caused the following stuff to start working:
>> dual cpu, nvidia, and suspend to disk.
>>
>> However, neither skype nor ekiga works (they both worked fine
>> with feisty). Is there some sort of configuration step that the
>> upgrade to gutsy might have missed that I can do now to get
>> these working?

> Have you tried to renaming the config folders for those apps?

I'm not sure what this means. Is a "config folder" a directory?
System or personal? Do all debian packages have a "config folder"
that can get screwed up during an install gone awry?

I was actuall thinking I should do a

sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-`uname -r`

in case the loading of kernel modules had somehow been disrupted.
However, doing this simply seemed to erase my /boot directory.
But that's a problem for another day.

Thanks,
Charlie
--
Charlie Zender, Department of Earth System Science, UC Irvine
Sab. at CNRS/LGGE-Grenoble until 20080715 :) 011+33+476+824236