Repair Grub Files?

Martin Laberge mlsoft at videotron.ca
Thu May 31 19:49:28 UTC 2007

On May 31, 2007 07:54:04 am Phil Pinkerton wrote:
> This is the world of Linux vi is SOP
>
> Guess I am just old school, I even use Vim on my Windows box.
>
> On 5/30/07, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> >
> > Phil Pinkerton wrote:
> >
> > > Why not just type su -
> > > enter the root passwd
> > > then vi /boot/grub/menu.list
> > >
> > > edit the file save it and your done ?
> >
> > Because that would involve using vi? :-)
> > --
> > derek
> >

> > --

When "Something Goes Wrong" on a Unix-Like system,
and only single-user-root-admin is possible 'vi' is universal,
on any kind of version of any kind of unix
since 197? . (Linux,AIX,SCO,AT&T,SUN,OS/X,...)

For a non admin person in this situation,
'nano' does a great console file editor tool for newbies
or not-so-advanced poeples on linux,
and is included in *buntu
and can be used on console or (X,K,G)term-alike soft.

You dont NEED to learn 'vi' to admin a machine,
but it helps a lot...

Martin Laberge
mlsoft at videotron.ca
30 years of unix admin... and still learning!