kernel version remove

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue May 29 17:52:46 UTC 2007

Eberhard Roloff wrote:

> Loïc Martin wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>   Best is remove said kernels using synaptic.
>>
>> Manually, though, you edit menu.lst :
>>
>> sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
>
> exactly.
>

>> Then save, and :
>>
>> sudo grub-install hd0
>
> This is _not_ essential. At least on my machines, it works without
> issuing grub-install.

The command executed by the postrm script when you remove a kernel (or the
postinst when you install one) is actually "update-grub", which rewrites
menu.lst based on the kernel images it finds in /boot.  Once you have grub
installed, you should never need to run grub-install again - it's just
menu.lst that changes and you can either do that yourself (but be warned
that it will get rewritten the next time you use apt/dkpg to add or remove
a kernel) or have it done for you by removing the package.
--
derek