FTP site

Mitch Contla mcontla at gmail.com
Sun May 27 15:27:50 UTC 2007

On 5/27/07, edwin coime <it_ecoime at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've setup an FTP site on my linux box, I can upload and download a files
> from that box on my LAN.
>
> But, how can other user access my ftp at home using the Internet, and How
> can you gave a name for your ftp site ex. ftp://myftp.org?
>
> I have a DSL Internet connection at home and my FTP linux box is connected
> on a router.
>
> In other words, How can I publish it publicly and accessing it using
> domain-name?

If you don't want to purchase a domain name, you can use a service like
DynDNS to use a free hostname for you isp assigned ip address. See their
website for details:
http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/

If you go this route, you'll probably want to install something like the
ddclient package to periodically update your ip address with DynDNS.

Don't forget, you'll also need to make sure that your router is configured
to forward ftp to your server (TCP 20 & 21).

--
Mitch