Deploying Linux Desktops in a Business (was Re: Antivirus for Ubuntu)

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Fri May 25 07:37:00 UTC 2007

Ben Edwards wrote:

> For example what access do we give non technical people to there Linux
> Desktop.  Is it possible to give non sudo access to the box but allow
> them to install security updates.

I think you can give them sudo access but only allow them to run aptitude.

All they would have to do is:

sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude upgrade

Obviously, this can be made into a fairly simple script with a desktop
shortcut.

  Then, since they can't modify sources.list you should be able to
prevent them from installing "third-party" software.  Sudo is actually
designed to allow fine-grained configuration, though Ubuntu makes it
equivalent to root access by default.

Matt Flaschen