DHCP name announcement

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu May 24 12:35:53 UTC 2007

Phil Bieber wrote:

> On 5/23/07, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>> Jonathan McLoughlin wrote:
>> However, first, I'd want to try "nslookup <host>" from a command line on
>> the
>> XP box.  I'm betting the router really does know its name.

> Here is the output of nslookup and ping.
> http://rafb.net/p/0bhUlq60.html

I really meant to use nslookup on the XP box to find the XP box's name.  Is
that what you did, or is it the IP of your linux box?  So if your XP
hostname is MY_XP, just use "nslookup MY_XP".

> Strangely, pinging does work, but the hostname returned by nslookup is
> obviously not correct.

It doesn't mean a lot if the reverse lookup shows an odd name.  Right now, I
get this pointing at my linux laptop from a Windows box:

$ nslookup othello
Name:    othello.<DOMAIN>
Address:  142.2.70.25

$ nslookup 142.2.70.25
Name:    mar6030971.<DOMAIN>
Address:  142.2.70.25

However, if you can ping the linux hostname, but you can't find it with
nslookup, I think that's an indication that the name is only known via
netbios, not DNS.
--
derek