Kubuntu networking problem - help!

JD jdangler at atlantic.net
Thu May 24 05:17:21 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: ubuntu-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com
[mailto:ubuntu-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com] On Behalf Of Matthew Flaschen
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 11:37 PM
To: Ubuntu user technical support,not for general discussions
Subject: Re: Kubuntu networking problem - help!

JD wrote:
> I've got kubuntu running feisty running on my Dell 810 Laptop...
> I've also got vmware workstation installed on this box (but haven't got
the
> license key yet, so there's nothing running on it)...
>
> For some reason, I can't get any networking to run...
> When I run /etc/init.d/networking start, this is what I get ...

I think the preferred method is:

sudo ifdown eth0
sudo ifup eth0

> If I plug in a windows box, the connection comes up immediately.

And you definitely have DHCP setup on the network?
Matt - Not sure of the context of "the network".  I'm in an apartment on a
DSL line to Comcast.  The win box is _only_ dhcp.  But, yes, the kubuntu box
is set up for dhcp.  My interfaces file is setup as eth0 inet dhcp...
I've tried to eliminate as much as possible by booting into the recovery
mode kernel and starting networking, with the same effect.  I've even taken
the ip info from the windows box and put it in an interfaces file on the
kubuntu box with no luck...

Matt Flaschen

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: