Compiling Asterisk requires Ubuntu source?

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at
Tue May 22 06:43:14 UTC 2007

Don Kelly wrote:
> I'm making serious progress. Installing the headers made a difference! :)
> I've installed zaptel and libpri successfully.
> Asterisk complains that "termcap support not found."

Someone brought this up a while ago.  There are apparently two options
(neither of which I've tried personally)  You can install (yes, that's
from Breezy, which is no longer supported).  Or that page says for
compiling "It's as simple as linking with ncurses instead of libtermcap
(i.e. replace the '-ltermcap' with '-lncurses' in the makefile)."  You
could try this.  From the asterisk source directory, run:

rgrep ltermcap *

Replace all these instances with lncurses .

But I think part of the reason you're having these problems is that
you're using the sources from upstream rather than those used for the
Ubuntu package.  See

apt-get source asterisk-classic

This will download the source files.

sudo apt-get build-dep asterisk-classic

This will install the packages needed to build asterisk (if you need to
compile one of these packages yourself do so using this process before-hand)

cd asterisk-

sudo dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -b

Unfortunately, this seems to build both asterisk-classic and
asterisk-bristuff (a slightly patched version), and all the docs.  It
will take a while (maybe a half hour).  I don't know how to easily build
just asterisk-classic using this method.

Matt Flaschen