Can't play MP3s?

Luca Dionisi luca.dionisi at gmail.com
Mon May 21 09:02:23 UTC 2007

On 5/20/07, Michael Satterwhite <michael at weblore.com> wrote:
> Since installing feisty, I can no longer play MP3s. I've installed the Ubuntu
> restricted package - which I thought brought in the extra codecs.
>
> If I try to play an MP3, amarok says that it can't play MP3s. There is a
> button to install MP3 support - but it can't be used. The window asking if
> MP3 support should be installed locks solid, and neither of the buttons are
> active. The window itself cannot be closed - and the only way to get it off
> the screen is to go to a console window and kill amarok.
>
> What do I need to do to be able to play MP3s in Feisty?

IIRC, starting with a plain install of Feisty, when you double click
a MP3 file Totem will be launched, it complains that the codec is
not installed and at the same time it asks you if you want it installed.
Just click OK a few times and you get it. The very same file you
doubleclicked on, starts playing.
I suppose that amarok then will be able to use the codec too.

I experienced that with Ubuntu. I don't know for Kubuntu.

--Luca