Problems with realplayer since 7.04

Freddie Ruddick frederific at googlemail.com
Mon May 21 00:53:59 UTC 2007

Hi Guys,

I recently installed Feisty, after having used Edgy on the same box
since release. With Edgy, I could listen to BBC Radio-On-Demand [1],
however the play/pause and other controls didn't work. Now, the buttons
all work fine, however I cannot listen to the stream, as it is VERY
jumpy (brief periods of the programme between longer pieces of silence),
and seems to be playing at double speed.

This jumpiness occurs regardless of whether I use the html-embedded
player; or manually download the .ram file and open it with realplayer.
It can't be my internet connection as my windows box on the same LAN can
play them just fine. I have tried both Real's .bin installer, and
the .deb listed on the Ubuntu Wiki[2]

Any idea why this, and (more importantly!) how I can fix it?

Freddie :)

[1]http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/index.shtml?button
[2]https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RealplayerInstallationMethods