Moving installation to new drive

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Sun May 20 08:55:04 UTC 2007

Mike McMullin wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-05-18 at 23:20 -0400, Steven Pasternak wrote:
>> Hi! My old 40gb drive is getting replaced with a new 400gb drive, and I
>> need to know if I can just copy the old installation over and do a
>> repair (like in suse or even windoze). I have feisty now, it is an
>> upgrade from edgy, which is an upgrade from dapper. I don't particularly
>> want to download the feisty CD or install dapper and upgrade twice. I
>> have it installed on hda2 (winxp on hda1), and everything else should
>> stay the same. Will it work? If so, how? Thanks!
>
>   I think what you want is rsync, it will "sync" your new partitions
> with the info (includes links/permissions attributes etc.) with the old
> partition(s).

I think it's just:

sudo -i
rsync -avz /mnt/sda1/ /mnt/sdb1

where /mnt/sda1 is the mountpoint of the original drive, and /mnt/sdb1
the mountpoint of the new one.  The sudo is important (to perserve
ownership and permissions) as are the exact slashes (so you don't have a
nested root directory)

Matt Flaschen