pan

Mike nowhereman.777 at gmail.com
Sat May 19 13:53:14 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-05-19 at 13:57 +0100, norman wrote:

> > In 7.04 there is a directory ~/.pan2/groups, which apparently contains
> > files with information about visited newsgroups. I don't remember if the
> > same directory exists in the previous Pan version, but if it does, you
> > could try to move the files from the old directory to the new one. This
> > setting has changed in the new Pan version though. Each newsgroup has
> > it's own setting now. You may have to improvise.
> >
> > You could try the same with other directories/files one by one. Perhaps
> > some of them are compatible. Often you can tell from the name of the
> > file what it is for.
>
> This seems very complicated to me, I think I shall just go into a
> darkened room and rest.
>
> Norman

I recently resolved this problem with the new version of Pan by
uninstalling the new version and downloading the older, stable version
of Pan from here:

http://altruistic.lbl.gov/mirrors/ubuntu/pool/main/p/pan/

The stable version is 0.14.2.91

Then I installed the stable version and locked that version in synaptic
so the software updater didn't constantly alert me to the newer
(unstable) version included with Feisty.

All of your old settings in the pan directory should work just fine once
you install the stable version.

On a side note, I did try to use the new version of Pan and didn't like
it at all. Personally I don't know what the developers were thinking.
Why the radical change? Some of the useful functions that I have grown
accustomed to seem to be missing (like being able to select a different
news server manually from the "servers" menu. I use multiple servers and
find the new version clumsy and ineffective.

Hope this helps!
Mike