pan

Ari Torhamo ari.torhamo at saunalahti.fi
Sat May 19 12:45:37 UTC 2007

la, 2007-05-19 kello 12:46 +0100, norman kirjoitti:
> On Sat, 2007-05-19 at 12:10 +0100, Tony Arnold wrote:

> > Why not just rename the directories? E.g.,
> >
> > mv pan2 pan2.feisty
> > mv pan pan2
> >
> > and restart pan?
> >
> > But it may be the format for storing information in these directories
> > are not compatible!
>
> Tried that but, unfortunately, Pan did not restart with the files etc.
> Just as before, Pan starts with the opening wizard requiring a
> completely new setup.

In 7.04 there is a directory ~/.pan2/groups, which apparently contains
files with information about visited newsgroups. I don't remember if the
same directory exists in the previous Pan version, but if it does, you
could try to move the files from the old directory to the new one. This
setting has changed in the new Pan version though. Each newsgroup has
it's own setting now. You may have to improvise.

You could try the same with other directories/files one by one. Perhaps
some of them are compatible. Often you can tell from the name of the
file what it is for.

The default directory for saved articles is ~/News in both versions. If
you have saved to the default directory, are your articles still in
there?

Ari Torhamo