GRip speed issue

Dave M DaveM at Mich.Com
Tue May 15 23:22:09 UTC 2007

At 01:54 PM 5/15/2007 , Ben wrote:
>On 5/15/07, Dave M <<mailto:DaveM at mich.com>DaveM at mich.com> wrote:
>>I am using Ubuntu v6.06 and GRip v3.3.1 (from the repository). I am having
>>an issue with the speed that the tracks are being ripped from the CD.
>>Sometimes it works properly, ripping at speeds that vary between 4x and 6x.
>>But sometimes it will only rip at 1.6x. I have not found any pattern as to
>>when it works and when it does not. It seems random. Paranoia was very slow
>>(over an hour per track) so I am using CDDA2WAV
>>(v2.01.01a01_linux_2.6.12_i686_i686 ). I tried adding --speed 4 to the rip
>>command-line but I get the same results. Sometimes it works and sometimes
>>it does not. I also tried --speed 0 which, according to the man pages, sets
>>the drive to the default speed. Same results, sometimes it works, sometimes
>>it is slow.
>>
>>Here is my full command line:
>>
>>-interface cooked_ioctl -device %C --speed 4 --max --no-infofile --track %t
>>--output-format wav %w
>>-------------------------------
>
>Try hdparm.
>Test with a non copy protected CD.

Here is what hdparm shows:

$ sudo hdparm -I /dev/hdd
Password:

/dev/hdd:

ATAPI CD-ROM, with removable media
         Model Number:       CD-ROM 56X
         Serial Number:
         Firmware Revision:  12
Standards:
         Used: ATAPI for CD-ROMs, SFF-8020i, r2.5
         Supported: CD-ROM ATAPI-1
Configuration:
         DRQ response: <=10ms with INTRQ
         Packet size: 12 bytes
Capabilities:
         LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
         DMA: *mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 *udma0 udma1 udma2 (?)
              Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=150ns
         PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
              Cycle time: no flow control=227ns  IORDY flow control=120ns

The problem happens with clean disks as well as scratched ones. And it can
even happen if I use the same disk and try ripping it twice. Another
interesting thing is that it usually works OK on the first disk, becomes
less reliable as I do more disks. After a while it tends to stay slow. But
not always. Very strange...

Dave M
Davem (at) Mich (dot) Com
Ann Arbor, Mich. USA

Protect your digital rights: http://www.eff.org
"The 'Analog Holes' they want to stop up are our eyes, ears and mouths."