cannot install to certain machine (live/alternate/7.04/6.06)

Solomon Herscovitch solosalsa at gmail.com
Sat May 12 21:17:03 UTC 2007

> > I cannot get Xubuntu (or Ubuntu) on my machine.  I pieced it together,
> > and it never had an operating system before.  I started with the
> > Xubuntu Feisty LiveCD.  The live environment works great: it detects
> > Nvidia graphics, sound, WiFi, etc, and runs really well.
> > BUT, when I run the installer application, the installer just
> > *vanishes* at a certain point.
> > I then tried Feisty Ubuntu (not Xubuntu), and reached the same problem.
> > I tried Dapper Xubuntu, and it also quit, but the 6.06 installer
> > leaves a little note, just saying to ask online...
> > I tried Feisty Xubuntu Alternate, and, there, too, it will not install.
> >
> > These are the last few lines of the Alternate Install's syslog:
> > base-installer: error: exiting on error
> base-installer/kernel/failed-install
> > main-menu[3057]: WARNING **: Configuring 'base-installer' failed with
> > error code 1
> > main-menu[3057]: WARNING **: Menu item 'base-installer' failed.
> > main-menu[3057]: INFO: Modifying debconf priority limit from 'high' to
> 'medium'
> > debconf: Setting debconf/priority to medium
> > main-menu[3057]: DEBUG: resolver (libnewt0.52): package doesn't exist
> (ignored)
> > main-menu[3057]: DEBUG: resolver (ext2-modules): package doesn't exist
> (ignored)
> > main-menu[3057]: DEBUG: resolver (firmware-modules): package doesn't
> > exist (ignored)
> > main-menu[3057]: INFO: Falling back to the package description for
> > console-setup-udeb
> > main-menu[3057]: INFO: Falling back to the package description for
> > console-setup-udeb
> > main-menu[3057]: INFO: Menu item 'di-utils-shell' selected
> >
> > I have never ran an operating system on the computer, so I do not even
> > have Windows to fall back to (not like I want to).  I do have other
> > computers in the house, though.  Please, will anyone help?
> >

> To my mind there are only two things that could be at fault. I have had
> systems run very well with a live CD, but then the installer kept
> crashing out - the problem being faulty RAM. Other than that, it makes
> sense that if the Live CD works well, but when you try to install it
> breaks, the hard drive is at fault. The LiveCD never touches the hard
> drive *unless* you are installing. That's my penny's worth anyhow!
>
> --
> Gabriel Dragffy FdA BA(hons)
>

> Websites by Gabe:
> http://dragffy.com
> http://andrew-norman.com

No, the memory and storage are both perfectly new.
I know what the problem is.  The installer does not allow partitions
configured to mount in certain places.  I had always partitioned manually,
leaving one on /dev/sda3 (as it was set by default).  And that is all the
cause was.
This problem should not be allowed.  People should at least be notified to
blank the mount column.  I think I will report this on Launchpad.  Do you
think this is okay to report, or something so silly that no one else will
ever conflict with?