Problem with ethernet -- SOLVED

Michael S Peek peek at tiem.utk.edu
Fri May 11 13:58:50 UTC 2007

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Yeah, but that's not the same thing as "Wasn't the routing table supposed to
> take care of that?"  That implied, to me, that you expected to be able to
> prioritize routing over two active interfaces.  If you deselect one, then
> select the other, it _should_ be reruning dhclient on the latter.  That's
> likely all that was needed.  If they're both already up (they were in the
> example you showed) and then take one down, the other can't automatically
> get an address.

No no, just one interface active at any time.  (Although I may toy with
bonding the two and see what happens...  But that's an experiment for
another day.  I've bonded two wired interfaces before, but never tried
bonding w/ a wireless interface.)

When I captured what I posted earlier, I had a terminal window open
running "while true; do clear ; ifconfig -a ; done" to show me the
interfaces going up and down.  Whenever I would take down the ath0
interface I could see that "inet addr:" and "inet6 addr:" lines
disappear from ath0 -- but then a couple of seconds later the "inet6
addr:" line would return.  Not knowing anything about IPv6 I just
assumed that this was normal behavior.  And since our organization
doesn't use IPv6 I just ignored it.  I never checked it after rebooting
seemed to have fixed my problem.  I'll have to take another look at it
when I get back to the office and can give it another try.

Thanks for your help!

Michael