encryption

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Tue May 8 18:42:36 UTC 2007

Henk Postma wrote:
> On 5/1/07, John Richard Moser <nigelenki at comcast.net> wrote:
>> This makes me wonder what problem you're trying to solve.  As long as
>> your PC is on, the encryption is useless...
>
> Here's one scenario. Your hard drive crashes and stops responding. You
> can't erase the disk anymore, so what do you do with the drive
> containing (presumably) sensitive data? You get it replaced, send it
> to the original manufacturer. I would feel more safe knowing that next
> to the drive being unresponsive, the data would not be recoverable as
> well.

Here's one I'm posing as a question for everyone...

I'd like to find a way to encrypt email.  However, I have 2 desktops I'm
using in 2 locations plus a laptop.  All three are accessing email
through IMAP, so the mail is stored on 2 different mail servers.

The end result email would have to have some kind of decryption client
available on Windows as well as OS X and Linux.

What would be a good solution, and what will it involve to implement and
use it?

The goal is to have the encrypted text on the mail server and decrypt it
at reading time, so if it's read on the mail server by a third party the
message will be gibberish.