BitTorrent client problem/reccomendations

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Tue May 8 16:21:32 UTC 2007

On 08/05/07, Dae Won Ron Conrad <angelbeast at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi. I am pretty new to Linux, and Ubuntu. and i am having the worst time
> with downloading torrents. I switched from WinXP and on there i ws getting
> great speeds with Azureus.On Uuntu however I'm getting awful speed's no
> matter which client i try. Aurues worked on windows without having to
> forward any port or anything which i what i need since i don't have access
> to the router. I wa getting speeds of 100-300 or even l little more at time.
> I've been tinkering a little and i think Azureus might work after all but
> during the port test it always fails. How do i fix this?I tried adding a
> BotTorrent policy to the firewall but it had no effect. Thanks in advance
> for any help...

Well, Azerus is Azerus - should work the same on both platforms, it's
the same code.  The only thing I can think of is that your firewall
was using uPNP to open the right ports in Windows.  I'm assuming you
didn't install a software firewall in linux?  Sorry I'm not much help.

Ktorrent is quite nice to use, but make sure you are getting version 2
or higher - the 1.x series was buggy as heck.

If you'd like a totally different bittorrent client, you could try
installing btcurses - I run btcursesmany in a terminal window, then
just drag torrent files into the download directory and away it
goes...
Pretty different way of getting things done if you're a Windows user though.