VMware + WindowsXP guest + license?

Ghodmode ghodmode at ghodmode.com
Tue May 8 14:02:56 UTC 2007

It's a shame that this thread has degenerated into flamebait for licensing
debate.  Please see my solution below.

On 5/7/07, Tomoki Taniguchi <tomoki.taniguchi at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a dual boot winxp/linux system.
>
> My windows partition has a valid license that came preinstalled with my
> laptop.
> It has passed all license validation up to this point.
>
> I used the "VMware Converter" to create a copy of the "winxp environment".
>
> I then tried running the "image"  in vmware player under linux.
> The system starts up normally, but when I log in,
> Windows tells me i need a valid license.

My laptop doesn't come with a Windows install CD.
> It came with a recovery DVD which contains an image of the
> of a preinstalled harddrive to save time.
>
> How can i solve this issue?

Tomoki,
    Have you ever used BitTorrent?  I'd recommend searching for and
downloading a cracked version of Windows XP Home edition using BitTorrent.
It sounds to me like you own a licensed copy of Windows to use on that
computer.  A legal technicality would prevent you from doing exactly that
and might even force you to buy another license.

    Is this piracy?  Well, Tomoki has purchased a computer and it came with
Windows XP Home Edition.  Essentially, the price of his license was included
in the price of the computer.  Now, he has decided he would like to expand
his computing capabilities by using Ubuntu Linux, but he does not want to
abandon Windows XP yet.  So, he has purchased a licensed copy of VMware for
this purpose.  Does he need to buy another license for Windows in order to
do it?  Maybe the letter of the law says he does, but it's just not right...
he already bought it.

    I'm no lawyer.  You could probably prove me wrong in some countries and
right in others by quoting the law.

-- Vince