quick question

CJ debiani386 at gmail.com
Fri May 4 23:23:48 UTC 2007

NoOp wrote:
> On 05/04/2007 12:26 PM, CJ Kelley wrote:
>
>> Matthew Flaschen wrote:

>>> Do you mean you can boot into Windows or Ubuntu, but can't mount the
>>> Windows drive from inside Ubuntu?  That probably means you have to
>>> update fstab.
>>>
>>> Matt Flaschen
>>>

>> hmm..my ntfs 4 drive works great on ubuntu (cant write to it though
>> :(..but thats because of an incompatibility between windows and ubuntu)
>>
>> --cj
>>

> Well I'm confused... what is an ntfs 4 drive? I have a Win2KP NTFS drive
> and can read it and wright to it with no problem at all. You can do this
> in Dapper, Edgy, or Feisty. You can use the supplied NTFS driver in
> Feisty, or use NTSF-3G in Dapper & Edgy.
>
> http://wiki.linux-ntfs.org/doku.php?id=ntfs
> http://www.ntfs-3g.org/

ntfs 4 is a partition used by xp and 2k..your using ntfs3g which gives
ubuntu the compatibility to write to ntfs 4 (2k, xp)

ubuntu must have the technology built into it to read and write to ntfs.
Some other mailing lists that i was on (mandriva emailing list..im never
returning to them again) said that linux couldnt write to ntfs directly
you had to use a third party program. i presumed that ubuntu handled
ntfs the same way

--cj