help needed with /etc/fstab

Thomas Kaiser ubuntu at kaiser-linux.li
Fri May 4 18:12:38 UTC 2007

Wolfgang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've added a new hard drive for my data but I dont manage to adapt the
> fstab file to get it loaded automatically.
>
> I can mount it with: sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sda /sontiges/
>
> I read the UUID with sudo vol_id -u /dev/sda and inserted this line to
> fstab:
>
> UUID=6a5cabf0-87d2-4000-93e3-7c25e372992e	/sonstiges	 ext3	 defaults	 0	 2
>
> But after a reboot it is not mounted. Can anybody give me a hint what I
> do wrong?
>
> Thanks
> Wolfgang

Did you partition the drive and format it with ext3?

/dev/sda is the _whole_ drive.
after partitioning you should have /dev/sda1 -> 1. partition on drive sda.

When you mount the first partition you should use a command like this:
sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /sonstiges

Thomas

--
http://www.kaiser-linux.li