help needed with /etc/fstab

Paul S paulatgm at gmail.com
Fri May 4 18:09:41 UTC 2007

Wolfgang said the following on 05/04/2007 01:55 PM:
> Hi,
>
> I've added a new hard drive for my data but I dont manage to adapt the
> fstab file to get it loaded automatically.
>
> I can mount it with: sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sda /sontiges/
>
> I read the UUID with sudo vol_id -u /dev/sda and inserted this line to
> fstab:
>
> UUID=6a5cabf0-87d2-4000-93e3-7c25e372992e	/sonstiges	 ext3	 defaults	 0	 2
>
> But after a reboot it is not mounted. Can anybody give me a hint what I
> do wrong?

It looks like it should work if you have the correct uuid and mount
point.  You don't need to use uuid numbers in fstab, you can use actual
devices (i.e. /dev/sda in your case).

/dev/sda	/sonstiges	ext3	defaults	0	2

Also, you don't have to reboot to test it.  First, make sure it's
unmounted (sudo umount /sontiges).  Next, make a change in /etc/fstab,
and in a command terminal, "sudo mount -a" to test it.  You'll see any
error messages in the terminal.

HTH