Real codecs in gxine [ wa: Re: Thanks Ubuntu .......... but ]

NoOp glgxg at mfire.com
Fri May 4 04:30:13 UTC 2007

On 05/03/2007 09:11 PM, Peter Garrett wrote:
> On Thu, 03 May 2007 20:45:15 -0700
> NoOp <glgxg at mfire.com> wrote:
>
>> On 05/03/2007 02:28 PM, Peter Garrett wrote:

>> > Yes, I can play that from the Media menu in gxine -
>> > something I did that you might not have tried was to change the "decoder"
>> > path in the configuration ( File -Configure - Preferences ) . Select
>> > "Master of the Known Universe" in the "gui" tab ;-) Then go to the decoder
>> > tab and point the Real codecs option at the codecs directory from your
>> > Realplayer install.
>> >
>> > This has the advantage over realplay that gxine uses alsa, so it does not
>> > grab /dev/dsp and allows other sounds to play while listening to Real
>> > streams.
>> >
>> > It seems that some Real codecs from ffmpeg work fine , but streams differ
>> > and the proprietary Real codecs work better for others... I'm not quite
>> > sure what the differences are, to be honest.
>> >
>> > HTH and all that ...
>> >
>> > Peter
>> >

>> Thanks, but I tried that previously (and yet again) using the codecs
>> from ./RealPlayer/codecs with no luck.
>
> Sorry - I missed one other adjustment in my other reply: set ffmpeg audio
> priority to -1 and also set the "real" priority to +1
>
> Apologies for the double post.
>
> Peter

No apologies please! You are the man Peter :-) That worked.

So for completeness I'll repeat your suggestions for others that may
have the same problem:

Peter Garrett wrote:
OK try this: in Preferences, under engine - decoder_priorities , set
"ffmpeg audio" priority to -1  ( negative one)

Theory: gxine is using ffmpeg preferentially, and reducing the priority
might get it to look at your RealPlayer/codecs directory.

You might need to restart gxine to make it take effect. This setting
"Works Here (tm)"