Panel Clock Problem?

das paagol at gmail.com
Fri May 4 03:41:15 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 10:48 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> Please let us know what version of Ubuntu you are running.
>
> You might want to sync to ntp servers.
>
> When you right click & adjust date and time:
>
> Configuration: Keep syncronized with internet servers
> Time Servers: Select Servers (click)
>
> The time servers list will come up, select an appropriate server for
> your region. I highly recommend using the ntp.org pool servers:
>
> http://ntp.org/
>
> >From your IP, you appear to be in New Delhi, so you'd use an npt.org
> server from your region:
>
> http://ntp.org/
>  http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Servers/WebHome
>   http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Servers/NTPPoolServers
>    http://www.pool.ntp.org/zone/asia
>     http://www.pool.ntp.org/zone/in
>
> The server for India is: in.pool.ntp.org You can try that one,
> however:
> <quote>
> There are not enough servers in this zone, so we recommend you use the
> Asia zone (asia.pool.ntp.org):
>
>    server 0.asia.pool.ntp.org
>    server 1.asia.pool.ntp.org
>    server 2.asia.pool.ntp.org
>    server 3.asia.pool.ntp.org
> </quote>
>
> So, back to the time server interface; you'd enter and check these
> servers by clicking the "Add" button:
>
> 0.asia.pool.ntp.org
> then "Add"
> 1.asia.pool.ntp.org
> then "Add"
> 2.asia.pool.ntp.org
>
> Make sure that you check the servers you've just added. Uncheck any
> default server that may have been previously checked.
>
> Note: in order for this to work you'll need an "always on" connection
> (cable, dsl etc).

Thanks for all this help and care. But, queerly, the problem is gone. I
don't know how or why. Now when I am clicking 'Synchronize Now' in the
time-adjustment window, not just the time shown in the window, but the
panel time is changing too, which was not happening before. And, I
presume, never it had anything to do with the 'ntp' servers, because, in
that case the time in the adjustment window would not get synchronized.
I think it had something to do with the OS, some very minuscule glitch
somewhere in some deep crevice that got corrected by some later update.
Now everywhere in the system the time is OK. I have kept the
synchronization as 'manual', from time to time I will update it, if I
see any problem. And, you know, that time another problem was showing up
that I forgot to report. Even if I wanted I could not make the 'UTC' off
in the time preference window. I was un-selecting it, and later, when I
open it again, it was once again 'UTC'. Now it is OK.

And some friends on this list may try to kill me: but, curiously, that
problem with the panel clock was happening at the time when I tried
'automatix' that I later de-installed from the system. Most probably
this is like 'kaktalio' in my language Bangla, the 'tal' (palm) fell the
moment the 'kak' (crow) flew, and why blame it on the 'kak'.

The IP was assigned by BSNL, the major public sector phone and ISP
vendor in India, that centrally operates from New Delhi, the capital of
India and I am from Kolkata, West Bengal.

---
das