Horrid fonts in Feisty

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Wed May 2 15:38:30 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 08:13:22PM +0100, Gleb Dolgich wrote:
> I find that fonts on my Feisty look better than on Windows XP, but
> that's a matter of taste. I think the way Feisty renders fonts is close
> to the way they look on Mac OS X.
>
> In your font settings dialog box, try selecting "Best shapes" in "Font
> rendering" section, then click on "Details..." and select "Grayscale" in
> "Smoothing" section and "Slight" in "Hinting". Close the dialogs and
> restart GDM (or just reboot), see if that helps.

That depends whether your monitor is a CRT or a LCD.  "Grayscale" is
okay for CRTs.  "Subpixel" looks 3 times better on LCDs.

Also I've found that fiddling with the DPI settings may make the font
look better or worse.  I stick to 96 dpi (which is what Windows uses,
and probably Verdana was designed with that in mind), although one of my
twin monitors (a 14" laptop panel) is closer to 100 dpi, and the other
(19" LCD) is 75 dpi.

Marius Gedminas
--
(Why, oh! why is X not written in Lisp?)
        -- Juliusz Chroboczek