A little help please!

Bob Cortez rjcortez at gmail.com
Tue May 1 03:16:50 UTC 2007

On 4/30/07, Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic at dantian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 01:03 -0800, Bob Cortez wrote:
> > If someone would be so
> > kind as to point me to a clear set of instructions for installing the
> > necessary codecs to play all media including encrypted DVD's I would
> > appreciate it.
>
> I have posted it numerous times in this thread:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats
>
> Alternatively, go the menu System|Help and search for DVD and/or follow
> the friendly links to "Music, Video, and Photos".

First of all, thanks for the links and I did get encrypted DVD's to
pay on my laptop with Feisty.

However, it wasn't nearly as easy as advertised, and my solution
doesn't seem to be documented anywhere.

Let's look at the instructions found at > http://www.ubuntuguide.org.
You need to scroll down a bit and find # 1.19.68 How to play DVD's
that links to http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty#How_to_play_DVD.27s
which instructs users to:
    *  Install the codecs:

sudo aptitude install libdvdnav4 libdvdplay0 libdvdread3 libdvdcss2

    * Use totem-xine instead of the default "totem-gstreamer":

sudo aptitude remove --purge totem totem-gstreamer
sudo aptitude install totem-xine

However that doesn't do any good at all unless you follow the
instructions at: Read #How to add extra repositories >
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty#How_to_add_extra_repositories
which doesn't specifically say that the restricted codecs needed to
play encrypted DVD's is located at http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/

Because I've been working on this problem for awhile, I knew I had to
add the medibuntu repository and install the codecs.  Even doing so,
Totem-xine refuse to play encrypted DVD's saying I didn't have the
required codecs installed.

The official documentation however should be much better, clearer and
accurate - right?  Lets see what
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats tells new users
about how to get encrypted DVD's to play
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs

if you are using Ubuntu 7.04 or later:

    *

      Install the libdvdcss2 package after adding the unsupported
third-party repository Medibuntu.

ok we go to the link to Medibuntu
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu which tells the new user:

    *

      With your favorite web browser, go to [WWW]
http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/pool/.
    *

      Choose the directory labeled as the distribution you are using.
    *

      Click either free or non-free depending on where the package you
want to install is located.
    *

      Go into the directory labelled as the architecture you are using.
    *

      Save the package you intend to install to your personal
directory on your hard drive.
    *

      Right click on the package you just downloaded.
    *

      Select Ubuntu Package Menu.
    *

      Choose Install Package.

NOTE: Sometimes while browsing the repository, a "forbidden page"
message will appear. This happens often and at random times but will
only last at the most 10 seconds. Keep refreshing the page until you
can browse the contents of the page. (This issue has been reported,
we're working on it, see [WWW] Bug #104425)

---

Now if the user is fortunate enough to get through without hitting the
"forbidden page" message, and they know what they are looking for
exactly they can navigate their way to the correct package which in my
case would be several clicks to get to
http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/pool/feisty/non-free/i386/

Oh wait... that was just for an individual package, we have to read
further to find the instructions for adding the repository...

    *

      Ubuntu 7.04 "Feisty Fawn"

sudo wget http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/sources.list.d/feisty.list -O
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list

To exclude getting packages from the non-free component of the
Medibuntu repository as explained in the previous section, type the
following command.

sudo sed -e 's/ non-free//' -i /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list

Finally, update APT's package information to acquire information about
packages in the Medibuntu repository.

sudo apt-get update
-----

Ok... now we're cooking with gas, almost there.

If your wish to install just libdvdcss2, you can first download the
individual package and then install the package.

    *

      i386

wget http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/pool/feisty/free/i386/libdvdcss2_1.2.9-2medibuntu2+build1_i386.deb
sudo dpkg -i libdvdcss2_1.2.9-2medibuntu2+build1_i386.deb

-OR-

if you have added the entire Medibuntu repository, install the package
using APT.

sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2

But wait, there is more...

There are a few formats such as certain Windows formats, Real, and
Apple Quicktime which do not have native codecs under Linux....

If you wish to install just the individual external codecs package,
you can first download the individual package and then install the
package.

    *

      For i386, the package is called w32codecs.

wget http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/pool/feisty/non-free/i386/w32codecs_20061022-0medibuntu1+build1_i386.deb
sudo dpkg -i w32codecs_20061022-0medibuntu1+build1_i386.deb

    *

-OR-

If you have added the entire Medibuntu repository, install the package
using APT.

    *

      For i386, the package is called w32codecs.

sudo apt-get install w32codecs

    *

-----

After following everything as described above including replacing
totem using gstream with totem-exine Totem refused to play an
encrypted DVD.

So I ditched Totem and installed VLC which worked, but it wasn't
launching when a DVD was inserted.  I had to go to
Systems|Preferences|Drives and Media|MultiMedia and insert
/usr/bin/vlc %d in the command line for Video DVD Discs.

Shazzam! It works just that EASY. ;)

Now compare that to Automatix or either of the major proprietary OS's
setting up to play an encrypted DVD.  Why haven't the best and the
brightest Ubuntu developers come up with a comparable solution?  Is it
because they can't, won't or don't care?

If we are really interested in getting Ubuntu into the mainstream, we
have a long way to go for the 'average' computer user who expects to
just insert a CD/DVD and  have it play.

Next, I'll be looking to sync my MP3 player with my music library on
an external HD.  I'll wait until I have another weekend to spend on
fussing with Ubuntu.

Bob