sa-learn

NoOp glgxg at mfire.com
Sat Mar 31 21:45:57 UTC 2007

On 03/31/2007 07:45 AM, John Dangler wrote:
>  NoOp wrote:

>> BTW: do you have the catch-all turned on for your email address? If so,
>> turn it off & I'm sure that you'll stop receiving so many.
> Right!  I selected one of the junk messages, and the 'not junk' did
> light... I emptied junk and trash, and restarted Evo to see what happens
> when everything there is clean.
>
> Since I don't see anywhere within account preferences or mail
> preferences to set catch-all, I'm guessing I don't have this set (or
> don't understand where to find it)...

I'll assume that you are using atlantic.net. AN have catch-all enabled
by default:

http://hostingleader.com/Shared-Hosting/Shared-Hosting-Plans/
 http://hostingleader.com/popup/catchall.htm
<quote>
Catch-all Default Mailbox

This feature allows you to receive e-mails that are sent to an e-mail
address that does not currently exist at your domain.

Example: A customer sends you an e-mail to an address you have not
created such as info at yourdomain.com, and instead of the message bouncing
back to the user because the e-mail address does not exist, the email
will be delivered to a vaild email addresss that you have configured to
be your Catch-all mailbox.
</quote>

You need to call AN or whoever admins your mail and have them turn
catch-all off. That is why you are getting so many spams.

> I had a rule that I found on one of the many pages I was reading that
> pipes every email to the spamassassin command, and if the return is not
> 0, to mark it read and move it to a different folder that I had set up.
> I'm guessing I no longer need this rule (it didn't ever move any
> messages to that folder anyway).
>
> On a more general note of catching spam, is it even necessary to have
> rules written in Evo, if I :
> a) Setup a folder within my mbox to move messages that I want marked as
> spam, but have not been caught yet by SA
> b) setup a cron job to run sa-learn --spam on that folder, say, once
> every hour?

On the Evo w/SA that I set up for testing I have no rules or pipes, no
added folder - only Junk; only the default SA, Bogo unchecked, SA
checked, and remote checked. Nothing else and it's filtering just fine
so far.

Gary