installing ubuntu with speech

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Fri Mar 30 01:38:15 UTC 2007

MICHAEL WEAVER <michaelweaver1 at btinternet.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion Florian.
> I thought the running of Ubuntu as Live was a problem because of lack of
> memory but as I managed to get Edgy working on the laptop after it was
> installed from the Alternate CD and as a newby to Linux and Ubuntu I
> couldn't be sure if it was the problem.
> Hope my Compaq Presario 140 has the capacity or whatever for a memory
> upgrade. I didn't know if laptops were a problem as regards memory upgrades.

I have seen anything from "it's explained on the manufacturer's web page
and you only need a screwdriver and five minutes time" (Thinkpads) to
"it's impossible without a special tool or destroying the case" (a Sony
Subnotebook)

> Probably also need to do the same thing with my desktop which has
> something like possibly 247 MB I think as I get a similar problem
> although I seemed to be able to run terminal and W3m text web browser
> using the test version for Feisty although this might be because Espeak
> uses less resources than Festival which has been the default synthesiser
> in Edgy and previous versions of Ubuntu.

I didn't check the hardware requirements but I guess 256 MB RAM is quite
close to the lower bounds of what's usable with Gnome. Try to get at
least another 256 MB if that's possible.

In general with Linux performance increases very much if you have a
plenty of memory.

   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>