Possible upgrade problem

Gabriel Dragffy dragffy at yandex.ru
Fri Mar 30 09:30:36 UTC 2007

Jim Smith wrote:
>  I have been asked to upgrade a friend's computer from dapper to edgy.
> This is a triple boot AMD64 system: Ubuntu 6.06 (default boot), SuSE
> 10.2 & WinXP Home. Booting is presently controlled by GRUB in the SuSE
> partition. I can see a problem arising with this configuration. The
> upgrade to Edgy will install a new kernel, which will be added to
> menu.lst in the Ubuntu partition.  If the old kernel is removed in the
> upgrade, this could leave the system unbootable. If not of course I can
> boot the old kernel, go in and copy the version of the new kernel, go to
> SuSE and add the new kernel using YaST. A simpler choice would be to
> make GRUB in the Ubuntu partition the default, but I am not quite sure
> how to do this. I just need to be able to boot Edgy, then I can add
> WinXP and SuSE by hand if necessary.
>
> Thank you
>
> Jim

When you upgrade it will install a new kernel, so you are correct in
that regards. However, it will not remove your previous kernel (from
Edgy) so you should still be able to boot. It would be best if you can
do the update and then copy the new lines from menu.lst in Ubuntu and
append them to the menu.lst on SuSe.