Possible upgrade problem

Jim Smith jim at oz.net
Wed Mar 28 23:14:51 UTC 2007

 I have been asked to upgrade a friend's computer from dapper to edgy.
This is a triple boot AMD64 system: Ubuntu 6.06 (default boot), SuSE
10.2 & WinXP Home. Booting is presently controlled by GRUB in the SuSE
partition. I can see a problem arising with this configuration. The
upgrade to Edgy will install a new kernel, which will be added to
menu.lst in the Ubuntu partition.  If the old kernel is removed in the
upgrade, this could leave the system unbootable. If not of course I can
boot the old kernel, go in and copy the version of the new kernel, go to
SuSE and add the new kernel using YaST. A simpler choice would be to
make GRUB in the Ubuntu partition the default, but I am not quite sure
how to do this. I just need to be able to boot Edgy, then I can add
WinXP and SuSE by hand if necessary.

Thank you

Jim