Comfortable partition size?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Sun Mar 25 16:06:58 UTC 2007

David Stubblebine <dstubb.mylists at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just put a roomy 120 GB drive in my Dell C800.  What is a
> "comfortable" size for my ubuntu partition?
> And can it be resized
> later using ubuntu tools (i.e. without having to buy partition magic
> later).
> I know it's entirely up to what I am going to do with it - I am just
> at the experimenting stage now.

Yeah, it definitely depends on what you do with your machine.. but
based on my experience I can still give a rough guide/ideas.

- Put 10 or 15 GB for Windows XP, if you intend to install Windows
"natively".
- Put 5 to 10 GB for the "root" partition of Linux, plenty enough
(Ubuntu takes about 2+ GB ) for you to install additional programs in
the future, and for the system to breathe, and live its life in general.
- Put 2GB for the swap partition, or more generally, make the swap
partition twice as big as your RAM capacity. so you have 2GB of RAM,
make the swap 4G, and so on.
- use all the rest for the "/home" partition, which will hold your
user data, this way you won't have to resize it, as it will already be
using all the remaining space.

HTH

--
Vince