I've lost my CD-ROM (kinda)

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Sat Mar 24 01:23:19 UTC 2007

CwCrei wrote:
> So, question 1: All I have to do to get the CD-ROM drive to work as
> intended from boot-up is to edit fstab to reflect the change of position
> of my CD-ROM drive from /dev/hdc to /dev/hdb? It there anything else
> that needs changing?

No, just /etc/fstab (make sure the other entries are right too).

> Question 2: How do I get this change to take effect properly without
> rebooting? Reading the man page for mount, having corrected fstab, do I
> just run "mount /dev/hdb", which will cause mount to go looking for
> /dev/hdb in fstab and mount just that device as instructed by fstab,
> without affecting anything else?

Yes, provided /dev/hdb isn't already mounted somewhere else.

> Question 3: For educational purposes, my actual /dev/hdc is a large HDD
> partitioned 50/50 and then recombined as a linear mode RAID device,
> appearing as /dev/md0 and mounted under /media a few lines after my
> CD-ROM in fstab. Anyone care to take a guess at what trying to mount a
> partitioned HDD as a CD-ROM, and then subsequently combining those
> partitions as a linear RAID device and mounting that at boot time will
> have on the integrity of my data?

None, I think.  First, /media/cdrom0 doesn't have any inherent meaning.
 It's really just an empty folder that acts as a mount point.  You could
just as easily mount the cdrom on /media/rabbit if you let every
userspace program know about the change.  Second, I don't think the
operating system would let you mount /dev/hdc *anywhere*, since it's not
a partition.

> ... the linear RAID experiment worked beautifully, and continues to do
> so for the time being.

Best,

Matthew Flaschen