Beta release

Jim Smith jim at oz.net
Thu Mar 22 00:25:06 UTC 2007

Thomas Meire wrote:

> On 3/21/07, *Jim Smith* <jim at oz.net <mailto:jim at oz.net>> wrote:
>
>     So now that feisty is a beta release, do we upgrade normally or do
>     we do
>     a dist-upgrade?
>

> As Vincent said, the beta-release isn't released yet, due to kernel
> bugs. Chances are that you will e affected by this bugs too, so it's
> most likely better to wait!
>
> If you really want to update to feisty, use "gksudo update-manager -d"
> which will inform you of a new (developer-)release. But be aware of
> the fact that stuff CAN break again anytime if you update to feisty
> before the final release (as Vincent said earlier).
>
> Right now, "update-manager --dist-upgrade" doesn't work for feisty
> (and -c doesn't show a new release either, as the beta is no final
> stable release), it would just try to update you to 6.10 (edgy).
Actually I did update to Feisty last week. I am impressed by it and so
far not too much is broken.Wireless works better, the webcam finally
works and the CDROM which needed to have a disk in it at boot in order
to work now also works properly. The latest kernel was not booting
properly until just a few minutes ago when an update came down and fixed
that problem as well.

BTW thanks to all who helped with the webcam and CDROM problems I was
having while using 6.06.

Jim